Parkinson's disease and other movement disorders
More than 1.5 million Americans are living with Parkinson’s disease*
Parkinson’s disease (PD), a degenerative disorder of the central nervous system, impacts motor skills, speech and cognition, including the ability to understand, recall and express information. Often characterized by the presence of tremors, PD may present a wide range of challenges including:
- Limb rigidity or stiffness
- Posture and balance problems
- Slowed movement
- Speech/swallowing impairments
- Mood swings
- Memory loss
- Difficulty writing
At Kessler Rehabilitation Center, our experienced therapists offer a comprehensive program of physical, occupational, speech and cognitive therapies to enhance the physical abilities, communication skills and emotional well-being. We also offer targeted care for people with other neurologic conditions, such as multiple sclerosis, cerebral palsy, stroke and brain injuries.
What our comprehensive programs mean for you
Kessler Rehabilitation Center offers a scope of services to help people with PD and other neurologic conditions:
- Improve or maintain function
- Increase vocal strength, loudness and clarity
- Maximize overall health and quality of life
Our highly specialized programs include:
- Parkinson Wellness Recovery (PWR!). Large amplitude, high effort exercises are performed in multiple postures such as standing, sitting and on the floor to help slow disease progression, improve symptoms and restore function. Patients will be given a daily home exercise program to maintain abilities gained during in-center care.
- SPEAK OUT!® concentrates on speaking with intent and transforming speech from an automatic function to a purposeful act.
- LOUD Crowd® provides ongoing education, support and encouragement through weekly group sessions. Participants enjoy socialization while working to maintain the skills developed through the SPEAK OUT! Program.
- LSVT BIG™ improves the amplitude or “bigness” of limb and body movement to provide a stronger, more efficient gait, better balance and flexibility. A range of daily living activities, from getting up from furniture to buttoning a shirt, are also practiced to maintain independence.
- LSVT LOUD™ focuses on increasing vocal loudness to develop better pitch, clarity, voice quality, volume, facial expression and swallowing. It also improves communication and saliva management while speaking.
You can find SPEAK OUT! & LOUD CROWD® programs at our outpatient rehabilitation centers located on Kessler’s Saddle Brook and West Orange, New Jersey campuses. The SPEAK OUT! & LOUD CROWD® regimens were developed by the Parkinson Voice Project.
Our physical and occupational therapists and speech-language pathologists provide specialized and individualized care to help you live your best life.
*American Association of Neurological Surgeons